Recently, I stumbled upon an article on Wikipedia that nine out of fifty largest malls in the world came from the Philippines.
My cousin is astonished yesterday when he saw SM North Edsa. He told us that it is one of the largest malls in the world.
Here are the list of largest malls in the world (per gross leasable area)
High Street Phoenix, the largest mall in the world in terms of gross leasable area.
Topped off the list is a mall located in Mumbai, High Street Phoenix. This shopping mall opened in 1998 which has 500 stores and with 315,000 m² (3.4 million sq ft) in land area.
|Golden Resources Shopping Mall (Image Source: KristenBeijing‘s blog)|
Second in the list is Golden Resources Shopping Mall in Yuanda Road, Beijing. With 1,000 stores and 10,000 free parking slots, 680,000 square metres, the world’s largest shopping mall from 2004 to 2005. and selling plenty of familiar global brands like Nike and DKNY.
|Third largest mall in the world and largest mall in Asia, SM North Edsa.|
In case you didn’t know, SM North Edsa is the third world’s largest shopping malls. According to their official website, it said that there are 4 primary buildings which includes City Center, The Block, The Annex and Carpark Multilevel Bldg and The Sky Garden covering the whole shopping complex. It also features SM Department Store, its major anchor, and SM Supermarket, a Hypermarket, a Savemore Supermarket, a food court, a Sky Garden, an Amphitheater an entertainment stage for events with more than 1200 seats, a 12-cinema complex, a Hypermarket, and over 800 shops. It offers more than 4,000 parking slots and valet services on 3 strategic locations.
|Malaysia’s biggest shopping centre and 4th world’s largest shopping mall, 1 Utama Shopping Centre|
- SM Mall of Asia – 12th place
- SM Megamall – 15th place
- SM City Cebu – 21st place
- Greenbelt, Makati – 24th place
- SM Southmall – 39th place
- TriNoma – 41st place
- Market! Market! (Taguig) – 45th place
- SM Lanang Premier (Davao)-46th place
5. Morocco Mall- located in Casablanca, Morocco. Opened in 2011 with 450,000 m² (4.8 million sq feet). With 500+ stores and it is the largest shopping center in Africa.
6. Persian Gulf Complex – Shiraz, Iran. Opened in 2012 450,000 m² (4.8 million sq feet) 500,000 m². With 2500+ stores—world’s largest by number of stores.
7. Central World- Bangkok’s shopping mall, started to operated in 1990.
8. Isfahan City Center – located in Isfahan, Iran which was opened earlier this year with 750+ stores.
Tied on the ninth place:
Cehavir Mall- located in Istanbul, Turkey. Established in 2005 with 343+ stores.
11. Sunway Pyramid in Subang Jaya,Selangor, Malaysia. Opened in 1997 which has 800+ stores.
12. SM Mall of Asia Philippines located in Pasay City, Philippines in which was opened in 2006. In 2012, Mall of Asia Arena caters to concerts and events with a capacity of 20,000 people.
Tied on the 15th place:
SM Megamall – located in Mandaluyong. Built in 1991 which has 1000+ stores.
19. Zhengjia Plaza also known as Grandview Mall in Guangzhou, China. Opened in 2005.
20. Mal Artha Gading, a mall in Jakarta, Indonesia and it was opened in 2007.
21. SM City Cebu is a shopping mall in the Queen City of the South. Started in 1993 and has 700+ stores.
23. Mall Of America is located in Bloomington, Minnesota which has opened in 1992. It is the largest in the United States.
28. Centro Comercial Aricanduva located in São Paulo, Brazil which established in 1991 with 535 speciality stores.
29. AEON Lake Town Centre in Koshigaya, Saitama, Japan which was opened in 2008 with 706 stores.
Tied on the 30th spot:
Chia Tai Square located in Shanghai, China which opened in 2005.
Tied in 32nd slot:
39. SM Southmall- located south of Manila (Las Piñas). Opened 1995 and it underwent major renovations in July 14 2011.
Tysons Corner Center – McLean, Virginia, USA. Established in 1968 with 200,000 m2 or 2.1 million sq ft and 300+ merchandise stores.
Del Amo Fashion Center – Los Angeles, California. Opened in 1975. With 200,000 m² or 2.1 million sq ft in area and 300 stores located here.
42, MEGA Belaya Dacha – Kotelniki Moscow Oblast. Opened in 2006-2007 with 330+ stores.
43. Mall of Arabia – located in 6th of October, Egypt which was opened in 2010 and with 330+ stores.
44. Costanera Center – situated in Santiago, Chile. Established in 2012 and which has 330+ stores.
45. Market! Market!- located in Taguig City, which was opened to the public in 2003 with 520 stores.
46. SM Lanang Premier- one of the newest shopping mall in Davao City and the largest in Mindanao region. Opened earlier in 2012