Recently, I stumbled upon an article on Wikipedia that nine out of fifty largest malls in the world came from the Philippines. My cousin is astonished yesterday when he saw SM North Edsa. He told us that it is one of the largest malls in the world. Here are the list of largest malls in the world (per gross leasable area)
Second in the list is Golden Resources Shopping Mall in Yuanda Road, Beijing. With 1,000 stores and 10,000 free parking slots, 680,000 square metres, the world’s largest shopping mall from 2004 to 2005. and selling plenty of familiar global brands like Nike and DKNY.
Third largest mall in the world and largest mall in Asia, SM North Edsa.
In case you didn’t know, SM North Edsa is the third world’s largest shopping malls. According to their official website, it said that there are 4 primary buildings which includes City Center, The Block, The Annex and Carpark Multilevel Bldg and The Sky Garden covering the whole shopping complex. It also features SM Department Store, its major anchor, and SM Supermarket, a Hypermarket, a Savemore Supermarket, a food court, a Sky Garden, an Amphitheater an entertainment stage for events with more than 1200 seats, a 12-cinema complex, a Hypermarket, and over 800 shops. It offers more than 4,000 parking slots and valet services on 3 strategic locations.
Malaysia’s biggest shopping centre and 4th world’s largest shopping mall, 1 Utama Shopping Centre
Malaysia’s 1 Utama Shopping Centre placed fourth. It is located in Petaling Jaya, Selangor and it was opened to the public in 1995. Some of the attraction in these mall are Skybridge, a lush tropical Rainforest inside the mail and its Secret Garden, South East Asia’s largest rooftop garde
With over 5 million sq ft and 6 retail levels (700+ stores). Also it is walking distance to luxurious 5-star One World Hotel and high rise offices like Plaza IBM, KPMG Tower and 1 First Avenue.
Other Philippines’ shopping malls on this list are:
SM Mall of Asia – 12th place
SM Megamall – 15th place
SM City Cebu – 21st place
Greenbelt, Makati – 24th place
SM Southmall – 39th place
TriNoma – 41st place
Market! Market! (Taguig) – 45th place
SM Lanang Premier (Davao)-46th place
Other shopping malls on the lists are the following:
5. Morocco Mall- located in Casablanca, Morocco. Opened in 2011 with 450,000 m² (4.8 million sq feet). With 500+ stores and it is the largest shopping center in Africa.
6. Persian Gulf Complex – Shiraz, Iran. Opened in 2012 450,000 m² (4.8 million sq feet) 500,000 m². With 2500+ stores—world’s largest by number of stores.
7. Central World- Bangkok’s shopping mall, started to operated in 1990.
8. Isfahan City Center – located in Isfahan, Iran which was opened earlier this year with 750+ stores.
Tied on the ninth place:
Mid Valley Megamall – Kuala Lumpur’s shopping mall which was opened in 1999, which has 430 stores to cater valued customers.
Cehavir Mall- located in Istanbul, Turkey. Established in 2005 with 343+ stores.
11. Sunway Pyramid in Subang Jaya,Selangor, Malaysia. Opened in 1997 which has 800+ stores.
12. SM Mall of Asia Philippines located in Pasay City, Philippines in which was opened in 2006. In 2012, Mall of Asia Arena caters to concerts and events with a capacity of 20,000 people.
13. Jamuna Future Park-Bangladesh’s shopping mall in Dhaka which will be open in January 2013 with estimated 500 stores to serve customers.
14. The Dubai Mall- it is the largest mall in the world in terms of total area. It is located in Dubai and opened in 2008 with 1,200 merchandise stores to choose from.
Tied on the 15th place:
West Edmonton Mall – located in Edmonton, Alberta. Established in 1981 with 800 stores and it is the largest shopping mall in North America.
SM Megamall – located in Mandaluyong. Built in 1991 which has 1000+ stores.
17. Berjaya Times Square- also in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Opened in 2003 and has 1,000+ stores.
18. Beijing Mall China – located in Beijing which was established in 2005 and has 600 stores.
19. Zhengjia Plaza also known as Grandview Mall in Guangzhou, China. Opened in 2005.
20. Mal Artha Gading, a mall in Jakarta, Indonesia and it was opened in 2007.
21. SM City Cebu is a shopping mall in the Queen City of the South. Started in 1993 and has 700+ stores.
22. King of Prussia Mall- located in a town called King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. and it was open to the public since 1962. With 327 stores and has two separate buildings
23. Mall Of America is located in Bloomington, Minnesota which has opened in 1992. It is the largest in the United States.
Morocco Mall,high end shopping mall Greenbelt, South Coast Plaza and Centro Comercial Santafé tied on the 24th spot
Morocco Mall is situated in Casablanca, Morocco. Opened in 2011 and has 350+ stores. It is the largest shopping center in Africa.
Greenbelt – one of the classy, luxurious shopping mall in Makati, Philippines. Started to operate in 1991 and with 300+ store One of the Philippines’ upscale-luxury shopping malls. It is a complex of five buildings : Greenbelt 1, Greenbelt 2, Greenbelt 3, Greenbelt 4 and Greenbelt 5. And has a chapel in the said mall.
South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, California, opened in 1967, with 286 stores.
Centro Comercial Santafé in Bogotá, Colombia which began to operate in 2006 with 485 retail stores. 28. Centro Comercial Aricanduva located in São Paulo, Brazil which established in 1991 with 535 speciality stores.
29. AEON Lake Town Centre in Koshigaya, Saitama, Japan which was opened in 2008 with 706 stores.
Tied on the 30th spot:
Millcreek Mall in Erie, Pennsylvania. Began to operate in 1975 and it has 142 stores.
Chia Tai Square located in Shanghai, China which opened in 2005. Tied in 32nd slot:
Dongfang Xin Tiandi(Oriental Plaza) in Foshan, China.
Siam Paragon in Bangkok, Thailand which was began to operate in 2005.
Grand Canyon Parkway located in Las Vegas,Nevada. Opened in 2003.
Queensbay Mall in Penang, Malaysia. Started to operate in 2006.
36. Sawgrass Mills in Sunrise, Florida. Opened to the public in 1990 and with 300+ stores.
37.The Galleria located in Houston, Texas, which was operated since 1970. And with 375 stores and it was the seventh largest mall in the United States.
38. The Trafford Centre, a mall in Manchester, United Kingdom Manchester, United Kingdom 1998 207,000 m² (2.3 million sq ft) 280
39. SM Southmall- located south of Manila (Las Piñas). Opened 1995 and it underwent major renovations in July 14 2011.
Tied in the 40th place are: Tysons Corner Center – McLean, Virginia, USA. Established in 1968 with 200,000 m2 or 2.1 million sq ft and 300+ merchandise stores.
Del Amo Fashion Center – Los Angeles, California. Opened in 1975. With 200,000 m² or 2.1 million sq ft in area and 300 stores located here.
AEON Bukit Tinggi Shopping Centre- Klang,Selangor, Malaysia. Opened to the public in 2007 which has 200,000 m² or 2.1 million sq ft in area and 200+ stores.
41. TriNoma -located in Quezon City. Opened in 2007 with 550 stores.
42, MEGA Belaya Dacha – Kotelniki Moscow Oblast. Opened in 2006-2007 with 330+ stores.
43. Mall of Arabia – located in 6th of October, Egypt which was opened in 2010 and with 330+ stores.
44. Costanera Center – situated in Santiago, Chile. Established in 2012 and which has 330+ stores.
45. Market! Market!- located in Taguig City, which was opened to the public in 2003 with 520 stores.
46. SM Lanang Premier- one of the newest shopping mall in Davao City and the largest in Mindanao region. Opened earlier in 2012
47. Grand Indonesia – located in capital city of Indonesia, Jakarta. Started to serve customers in 2008.
48. Vegas -established in Sovkhoz imeni Lenina,Moscow Oblas. Opened to the public in 1998 and 2010.
Christian Melanie Lee is a freelance social media manager and web developer. She also devoted her time managing her food blog, and music/concert blog. One of the Hootsuite Ambassador for the Philippines since 2014 and currently working as social media manager for the local band, The Itchyworms.
Follow her on Twitter and Instagram.